Wednesday 12 November 2008

The Umbrella...

I stood behind the tree waiting…
I had carefully placed the ‘umbrella’ on his door…
Our special HUGE umbrella that had kept us dry and close through so many days of rain…

The placing of the umbrella was such that when he opened the door, it would fall right at his feet… After making sure the arrangement was perfect, I had rung the doorbell three times and had run for cover… The tree seemed perfect… So I stood there… waiting… wondering…

And just then the door opened and ‘thump’ went the umbrella at someone’s feet (I couldn’t see who it was yet)

Then the stranger stepped out into the sun holding the umbrella and yes it was him!! He looked around and then at the umbrella he held, with that surprised curious expression I was so used to seeing…

He was reading the note I’d stuck on the front of our shared possession.

“1. Lift the Umbrella over your head.
2. Open the Umbrella while positioned over your head.
3. And don’t worry! It is not a bomb and it wont bite!
- S

And still with that same expression intact on his face he did as was written…

Voila!!!

Out came lots and lots and lots of pictures… Our pictures... Clicked over the months we were a couple… tumbling down in two’s and three’s all over him!!

For a moment there was a look of utter confusion on his face!
And then he read the second note… stuck right in the middle of the umbrella


“Our love might have faded away….
But why let the memories go the same direction?
Leaving you a few of many... Enjoy! -S


He smiled.
Nodded his head like he always did when I acted like a child.
Gathered the pictures.
The umbrella.
And went in.

Behind the tree I smiled.
Shrugged like I always did when I wanted to say I cant help being this way.
Gathered my life.
My still existent love.
And walked away.

15 comments:

demystifying said...

its amazing how your personality reflects in something so abstract..this is beautiful!

Supaar said...

how nice :)

is this a true story, by the way?!

zephyr said...

hehe... no no iggy it isnt a true story! =)
Thanks though!

Eccentricity!! Looooooong time! Thank u sooo much! =)

Da said...

for the first time in the longest time, i almost believed in love again for a few seconds after reading this post. for me, "the Umbrella" is, without equivocation, your very best! thank you...

Ire said...

Beautiful....

Arpit Higgins said...

one word.. surreal.

zephyr said...

To Mr Higgins, nikki n Da

Thank u!! =)
feels good to know u guys liked it ...

Impressionist said...

ah! splendid!!
I loved the story...I like the idea of the photos in the umbrella!!
I love Vignettes! damn! :D

-I

Prixie said...

what a charming tale! awww....

Pranaadhika Sinha Devburman - Bat said...

eclectic and so surreal ! u be a modern day mary poppins meets finding neverland !

Chrisann said...

Oh MY GOD I wish it were a true story i thought of you as a soul sister when i read it, because its so somehting I would do
sigh
lovely though

umangexuberance said...

wow
you just got yourself a fan
just blogrolled you
tc

Rachita Bansal said...

I love how u write too. thanks for following my blog so ardently!

zephyr said...

@I
Thank u!!

@Prixie
Thank u!! loved the 'awww'

@AnnaChronism
Thanks!! I loved the whole modern day mary poppins thing.. =D

@Chrisann
WOW!! Coming from u thts huge coz iadore your blog!! thank u!! I feel honored...

@Umang
FAN?? wowie... have u read the rest of the blog? am quite a crappy writer actually... but thanks!! =D

@Rachita
thank u soooo much... I am quite a fan of ur lil snippets.. keep writing! Hope u have loads to share after ur back.. =D

Anonymous said...

This is amazing and I think I was really blown away just imagning it to be reality.
But when I came to the comments and saw that you've said it's imagination, it makes the image seem more stronger- it's beautiful.
And it's true, why lose the memories just because the love is fading?